A Healthy Choice for Barbecues This Independence Day
The United States is gearing up to celebrate its 244th birthday this July 4, and many Americans plan to celebrate by firing up the grills to celebrate with a good old-fashioned Independence Day barbecue. While burgers and hot dogs are certainly tasty, the team here at Moving Analytics came together to share a heart-healthy recipe that everyone can enjoy.
Marinated Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Kebabs
- ¼ cup extra- virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 12 medium mushrooms
- 1 medium zucchini (8 ounces), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 (1/2 inch) slices red onion, cut into quarters
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- Whisk oil, vinegar, garlic, Italian seasoning, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms, chicken, zucchini and onion slices and toss well to coat.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, and up to 4 hours.
- Preheat the grill to a medium temperature.
- Thread the vegetables and chicken onto eight 8-inch skewers. (if using wood skewers, it can be helpful to soak them in cold water for about 30 minutes)
- Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through. (160 degrees if you're checking temperatures!)